Ignite Change Global Convention
This year, the United Nations’ Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) marks its 75th year. So, to commemorate this historic moment, from December 1-10, 2023 a team of partners led by the John Humphrey Centre for Peace and Human Rights will host the Ignite Change Global Convention, a series of online and in-person events to facilitate dialogue, learning and action on human rights. Righting Relations Canada is proud to be one of several organizations working to make this incredible event happen!
This ten day campaign will profile the principles and values instilled within the UDHR, and our hope is that we walk away with renewed commitment, confidence and capacity for advancing dignity, justice, peace, and freedom. To this end, we will create space for sharing work among human rights advocates and defenders, and inspire connection, collaboration and action. We will also hone our skills and share learning opportunities on how to advance human rights.
Each day will focus on an overarching theme that all connect and intersect to explore the complexity and scope of human rights:
- December 1 – Coming to Terms with Genocide and Colonization and Uprooting the Children: Indigenous Rights
- December 2 – (International Day for the Abolition of Slavery) Challenging the Narratives and Confronting Anti-Black and other forms of Racism
- December 3 – (International Day of Persons with Disabilities) Confronting Ableism and Building Disability Justice
- December 4 – Canada and Exclusive Citizenship – Migrants and Undocumented Workers
- December 5 – 2STQLGBIA+ Inclusion, Dignity and Well-Being
- December 6 – (National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women/Gender Based Violence) Confronting Gender Based Violence through a Global Lens
- December 7 – Prison Justice and Ways to Take Action
- December 8– Dignity in Poverty: the Role of Human Rights
- December 9 – (Anti-Corruption Day and International Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime) International and National Mechanisms for Human Rights and Peace
- December 10 – (International Human Rights Day) Democracy, Civil Society and Human Rights Education
This will be a great opportunity to facilitate discussion, be creative, strategize, network, or share your work with a broader audience. If you’re an advocate, a decision-maker, an academic, a creator, a student, an artist, or an organization advancing a culture of human rights, or if you’re curious about contributing to and learning about action for human rights, this event is for you!
For more information, to get involved, or to support this event, visit the JHC website now!
Publié sous :
advocacy, allyship, anti-oppression, anti-racism, Canada, community, community engagement, connection, conversation, decolonization, Events, facilitation, human rights, National, social change