Recruiting: National Gathering Coordinator
Background: Righting Relations is a national network of adult educators and community activists who work to build our capacity to strengthen and empower marginalized communities and build a just Canada. The work is women-led by members of communities who have been marginalized by the dominant society.
- Build adult education leadership capacity by creating regional and/or Canadian networks of adult educators and community activist hubs committed to social change;
- Provide resources/support to adult educators/community organizers actively engaged in advancing political and economic literacy work and in organizing efforts within the selected constituencies;
- Foster, advance and encourage a mutual dialogue of critical learning, support and collaboration between the targeted constituencies;
- Contribute to the social and economic advancement of the communities involved and document and share the gains.
In our seventh year, we are holding our second National Gathering in Hockley Valley, Ontario August 27th to 31st. We are hiring a National Gathering Coordinator to work with us to create a dynamic, supportive and collaborative environment that will launch us forward into our work beyond COVID and coordinate logistics around the event.
- Work with the National Steering Committee to organize the logistics of the event in a manner that supports the theme, flow and agenda of the event and the full and safe participation of members of the network
- Create and receive registration forms/names from regional hubs and from national invitees. Identify particular accommodations and dietary needs. Work with regional hub coordinators to confirm delegate list and needs.
- Oversee and coordinate all logistics for the National Gathering including:
- Informing the Centre of any dietary or special accommodation needs and room allocation needs.
- Coordinate travel, tracking arrival and departure times.
- Support and work with regional Hub Coordinators in arranging local transportation to and from Toronto to Hockley Valley.
- Identify volunteer needs and reach out to member participants to support volunteer needs. For example, organize teams around certain tasks.
- Organize and manage Welcome Desk at the event with agendas and name tags.
- Ensure documentation and implementation of evaluation process in partnership with the Learning and Growth Committee.
- Prepare and distribute communications with delegates to ensure they know what to expect, what to pack, answer questions etc.
- If required, in collaboration with the Central Hub, secure a graphic artist and/or videographer.
- Ensure facilitators and grandmothers are supported ahead of time and at the Gathering. For example, provide necessary materials/supplies required and ensure medicines are in place. Support the modelling of a space where our grandmothers are at the centre of the circle and cared for.
- Ensuring those with accessibility needs are effectively and appropriately accommodated.
- Support for organizing the logistics related to technology and allowing virtual connection of folks who can not travel.
- Support the Communications team in capturing photos and video clips to share as part of a digital outreach strategy during and following the event, and obtaining consent for use of photos and film media from participants
- Cultivate a safer space by welcoming, including and checking in on participants at the Gathering.
- Create a Final Report compiling evaluations, surveys, and pictures following the Gathering. Capture closing reflection circle learning to ensure this is a key element of the Report.
- Ensure criteria of reimbursement of expenses to participants is clear and reimburse as required.
- Identify additional resources to support the implementation of the Gathering.
- Excellent organizer, can handle a lot of details, comfortable working with Google Drive and Google Workspace features including Google Sheets and Google Docs
- Diplomatic, patient, able to work with different modes of communication and engagement
- Respects confidentiality
- Ability to truly work collaboratively, taking the intention of the group and supporting what is needed to make it reality
- Ability to work with diverse participants – newcomers, refugees, people living with disabilities, Indigenous communities and those from dominant society.
- Excellent communication skills
- Someone who is passionate about social justice, adult education and the impacts of oppression
- Experience with events organizing and/or knowledge of the GTA and Hockley Valley area is an asset
Terms of Contract:
- Six month freelance contract starting May 1st, 2023
- Hired by Righting Relations
- Working with Righting Relations National Steering Committee and reporting to the National Coordinator
- Flat contract fee of $10,000
Send resume and cover letter (in one document) via email to: Ally Crockford at email@example.com with “National Gathering Coordinator” in the subject line.
Deadline: April 17th, 5 PM
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from people who are part of equity seeking groups. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Central Hub, Eastern Hub, National, Western Hub